Follow Me on Pinterest Instagram
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

 One of my favorite things about fall is how everything becomes pumpkin flavored.  I've been making pumpkin bread every year since I was in kindergarten, but up until a few years ago I had never made pumpkin cookies.  Justin and I were throwing a spiked cider fall party and I needed a dessert to go with it.  I looked up a few oatmeal cookie recipes and wound up concocting what is now my famous Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies with Cranberries and White Chocolate Chips (okay well, famous at least among my friends and family).  So this year, going gluten free, I decided to work at the recipe some more and make it fit for my new diet.  They taste exactly like the ones with all purpose flour.  The tart little bites of cranberry, smooth sweetness of the white chocolate chips, warmth from the cinnamon, and burst of pumpkin flavor make these my absolute favorite cookie.  It is nearly impossible to eat just one. 

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies with Cranberries and White Chocolate Chips
Recipe a Jesicakes original
Makes 36-40 cookies
Ingredients
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 tsp gluten free vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup white chocolate chips

Aren't these the prettiest ingredients?

- Preheat the oven to 325˚ and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silpat mat.
- Cream the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together in a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and pumpkin puree, mix well.
 - In a large bowl, mix together the brown rice flour, oat flour, sweet rice flour, tapioca flour and xanthan gum.  Mix in the salt, cinnamon, and baking soda.  Add the oats.
- Pour the dry mixture gradually into the pumpkin mixture.  Mix well, making sure to scrape the sides and fully incorporate the dry mix into the pumpkin mix.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips and cranberries.
- Scoop onto a baking sheet using a cookie scoop or around a tablespoon each.  Now this is the part that gets a little high maintenance with the gluten free.  I haven't completely mastered this yet, but working in a bakery has given me a lot of practice in baking trouble shooting.  The first batch I did spread too much despite the xanthan gum.  Here's what happened.  So you need to chill the dough.  To do this, I place the balls of dough on a small plate or tray and place in the freezer for about five minutes.  Once chilled, they're also a lot easier to work with.  They spread the perfect amount into little pillowy cookies.
-  My timing for baking was 11 minutes, turn, and add another 11 minutes.  They should be lightly golden brown.  
- Let cool for a few minutes.  Enjoy with a nice warm mug of apple cider or simply by themselves.  This recipe makes A LOT of cookies.  I freeze half the dough and keep it in my freezer for when the craving for something sweet hits.



No comments:

Post a Comment