Follow Me on Pinterest Instagram
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Say Goodbye to Summer with S'mores Cookies!

Early this spring I was eating a chocolate chip cookie trying to think of a spin I could put on it and suddenly a brilliant idea hit me...a S'mores Chocolate Chip Cookie!  And then this summer came and all of a sudden on every food site I saw people were making their own renditions of a S'mores Cookie.  So maybe my idea wasn't as brilliant as I thought, but it still sounded delicious!  The one problem I was encountering was how to make them gluten free without graham flour, which is essential if I really wanted to make them taste like S'mores.  So finally this Sunday I made Gluten Free Graham Crackers from scratch and viola!  Now I could make S'mores cookies.  I based them off my Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe, so if you've read that the process is pretty much identical (I'll post it anyway).  The main changes are that I used graham flour (crushed graham crackers) instead of oat flour and I only used semi sweet chips in the cookie because I put dark chunks on top.  And of course topped them with marshmallows.  They were delicious, not to mention adorable!  You could really taste the cinnamon and honey from the graham flour (even without toppings these flavors really elevate these simple chocolate chip cookies into something a little more complex).  So bake a batch of these up for one last taste of summer before diving into fall flavors.

Gluten Free S'mores Cookies
Recipe a Jesicakes original with graham flour made from a recipe by Gluten Free Girl
Makes 18-20 cookies
Ingredients
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup graham flour*
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp hot water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 50-60 mini marshmallows (I used Dandies' vegan marshmallows because I don't eat gelatin)
- 1 60% cocoa Ghiradelli chocolate bar, chopped (if you want to be traditional use Hershey's squares)
- 1/4 cup extra crushed graham crackers*

* Graham Flour made from crushed graham crackers from my last recipe post here.  I used 3 graham crackers and a fourth for the extra for the topping.

- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and prepare a cookie sheet with parchment or a silpat liner.
- Cream the butter with the white and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and the vanilla and mix until evenly distributed.
- Mix together all the flours, the xanthan gum, and the salt with a whisk.  Add them gradually to the mixer allowing them to incorporate after each addition.
- Add a tsp of hot water to dissolve the baking soda and add it to the mixer.  Use a spatula to make sure you get it all out.
- Add the chocolate chips mix until well combined.
- I use an ice cream scoop to measure my cookies so they're uniform.  With the scoop I use I get about 18 cookies from this recipe.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet.  While they're on their first run, toast the marshmallows slightly.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then rotate, and bake for 2 more minutes.  Take them out briefly, add three mini marshmallows and three chunks of chocolate to the tops of the cookies.  Sprinkle some extra crushed grahams on too.  Return to the oven and bake another 2 minutes.
- When done, allow to sit for a few minutes then move to a cooling rack to finish cooling.  Best served when still a little gooey and warm to get the full S'mores effect...but still almost as good when they're completely cooled.
 - They stay well in an airtight container for a few days...and I froze the extra dough in scooped balls.  They're the perfect goodbye to summer and if you're ever wishing for summer on a cold winter night, I'm sure they'd be perfect for some summer nostalgia.


No comments:

Post a Comment