Follow Me on Pinterest Instagram
Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Best Ever Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies!


The first gluten free recipe I tried really developing myself was Chocolate Chip Cookies.  By this I mean studying a bunch of different recipes, seeing what I thought worked best, and making my own recipe out of them.  I've tried so many packaged gluten free chocolate chip cookie mixes and there's always some aspect that dissatisfying about them...whether they're dry or have a distinct taste or smell that just screams gluten free (and not as good as the original!).  My goal was to make a recipe for them that tasted just as good if not better than my favourite all purpose flour chocolate chip cookie recipe...and I think that I finally got it!  These cookies are crispy on the edges but have a soft chewy center.  The different flours I use give them a great classic flavor that you would never guess are gluten free.  They're easy and quick to make, and the perfect fix for any of your cookie cravings!

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe a Jesicakes Original.
Makes about 1 1/2 dozen cookies (I would consider this a 1/2 recipe)
Ingredients
- 1/2 cup room temperature unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp hot water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I do 2/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips and 1/3 cup chopped 60% Ghiradelli dark chocolate)

- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and prepare a cookie sheet with parchment or a silpat liner.
- Cream the butter with the white and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and the vanilla and mix until evenly distributed.
- Mix together all the flours, the xanthan gum, and the salt with a whisk.  Add them gradually to the mixer allowing them to incorporate after each addition.
- Add a tsp of hot water to dissolve the baking soda and add it to the mixer.  Use a spatula to make sure you get it all out.

- Add the chocolate chips and the chopped chocolate and mix until well combined.
- I use an ice cream scoop to measure my cookies so they're uniform.  With the scoop I use I get about 18 cookies from this recipe.  I find this to be the perfect amount for a quick craving.

- Bake for 10 minutes, then rotate, and bake for 4 more minutes.  Gluten Free tends not to brown up that much.  The first few times I overbaked them.  Once they've gotten that perfect regular golden brown, for gluten free that probably means they'll be a little crisp.  So er on the side of 2 minutes less than the degree of brown you'd like to see for that perfect soft, chewy center.  And remember all ovens vary, so you'll find the perfect time for your oven with practice.
- When done, allow to sit for a few minutes then move to a cooling rack to finish cooling or devour still piping hot if you're me and can't wait for them to cool...just be careful not to burn yourself in the process like I always do!
* Just a quick final note...while this recipe takes no time at all to whip out, I also normally freeze half of it and keep it in the freezer for when I want just a single cookie at anytime.  Bake up whatever you want immediately, then scoop the rest of the batch of dough onto a small sheet or plate.  Put it in the freezer, and once they're frozen you can place them in a ziplock and keep in the freezer for whenever you're in the mood for a freshly baked cookie.  I even just bake up one or two in the toaster oven!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jesika,
    I'm loving your website and can't wait to try some of your recipes. First thing I plan on making is these :D I live in Australia and I'm not sure about some of the ingredients. I have rice flour in e cupboard it doesn't say it's sweet, it's made from white rice and it can be used to make shortbread amongst other stuff. Would this be suitable to use as the sweet rice flour (and possibly brown if I can't find it in a health food store)?
    Thanks for any tips,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph,
      Thanks so much! I've actually been meaning to rework this recipe a bit. I have a lot of trouble finding the sweet rice flour where I live now, but it's essentially the same as the white rice flour. I do think the brown rice flour is important for the flavor and it's actually lighter in weight than white rice flour, so if you use only white rice the cookies may be a little dense. But you can definitely substitute the sweet rice for plain white rice flour I've done that the past several times I've made it. And I don't know if you have oat flour but for that you can always literally grind oats down to a flour in a food processor.

      I hope that helps. And if you do try to make it with only the white rice let me know how it works! I'd love to add any tips like that when I update posts.

      Thanks again for following!
      Jesika

      Delete
    2. Hi,
      Thank you for the tips. I ended up finding the brown rice flour just not the oat flour! Speaking of I can't have oats as they still have gluten in them (not sure if how they process oat flour where you are is different?). I do have corn flour in the cupboard so I was thinking of trying that as a substitute. Oh and what I've learnt is that oats (& some other things) can be wheat free but not gluten free. The best thing I learnt recently though is that glucose syrup and dextrose made from wheat is ok because of the processing - it eliminates the gluten. Yay, I can have caramelo koalas (which you probably haven't heard of, but they are yummy!)
      I plan on testing the cookies today with corn flour instead, I hope it works! :)
      Steph

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry you can't find gluten free oats! We do have them here in the US. Gluten free oats means they were never grown on the same soil as wheat or any product containing gluten. Bob's Red Mill (http://www.bobsredmill.com/) makes gluten free oats and oat flour (both certified gf). I pretty much use their products exclusively for flours.

      I know here it's kind of the opposite. It's more difficult to find gluten free corn than gluten free oats.

      Let me know how it turns out. Otherwise try just brown rice flour. Before I knew about what each flour did I used to use only brown rice flour (no others). I still actually really like the taste with just brown rice flour, almost like the different between white bread and whole grain.
      I hope whatever you do works out!!

      Delete
  2. I found your this post while searching for information about blog-related research ... It's a good post .. keep posting and updating information. Competitions

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful. Good day! appliance repair

    ReplyDelete